Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Victims of the Knife: The NaNo Interviews 30

Well halle-freakin-lujah, we’ve reached day 30! Between getting pricked by paperclips, accosted by discarded characters, being interrogated and doing a little of my own, and holding actual conversations with my Scorpius bobblehead, I was growing a little concerned that this month would end with me losing my goal for this year’s NaNo: to retain my sanity.

As of last night around 9pm, I completed my 50k word goal. The novel needs another 30 to 40k to finish out the draft, but I like where it’s going and aside from some questionable dialogue, my current in-play characters are behaving. One of my characters, thanks to the rewrite of Trust has become far darker and downright creepy in book two. He surprised even me. I love when that happens.

So how much did I write this month? Well, this blog challenge led to an additional 10k, in addition to the 50k novel in progress, at least 10k in planning/organizational emails with my co-ml (I’d get an exact number because I’m curious like that, but it would take way too long), 3k in pep talks and regional forum posts and daily notes, facebook messages of encouragement, answering NaNoMail… yeah, a lot. Let’s just call it that and let my fingers rest, shall we?

And for this last day, I’m to share a link to my story. I’ll compromise and share the opening scene. Enjoy.

I didn’t think my shipping business was overly successful, not to the point where anyone would want me dead over it. But as I lay there on the floor, observing the fine spray of my blood on my office wall, I had to consider that I might be wrong.

Heavy footsteps drew closer.

Damn. I knew I was rusty, having been out of the business for over four years, but it was still disappointing to know that I’d not done any serious damage with the two knives I’d managed to throw before toppling from my chair. I tried to peer around my desk, but my body wouldn’t cooperate.

Rhaine was going to be pissed that I missed dinner yet again.
The footsteps stopped.

Something tingled inside my head. The telepathic barriers I’d erected years ago dissolved as my mental strength faded.

The tingle came again. Familiar.

The black form of my killer loomed over me. “Oh fuck! Vayen, is that you?”

3 comments:

  1. I love your style.

    And I'd say we have easily 100K each. That's well beyond glitter and into goblet-of-awesome territory. Or like, BATH of awesome.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on hitting the 50k for NaNo (plus all the others, of course - these daily blog posts must have taken a lot of doing, or was that just playful fun in between the hard slog?)

    I like the tone of this opening too. I certainly want to know what happens next :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I'm quite happy with the first half of how this sequel is turning out. They're a great bunch of characters to write. :)

    The blog was in fact a challenge. I had half the month done ahead of time and foolishly thought I could stay ahead of the game, but that never happened.

    Thankfully my gang of discards played into the required questions and their own adventures fairly easily so it all worked out in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. It gets lonely in here without you.