Wednesday, April 20, 2016

A to Z: Short Beginnings Q

2016 THEME: Short Stories - at least the beginnings thereof.
YOUR PART: Throw out names, themes, random words or situations using the letter of the day and I'll pick some of them to include in the opening paragraphs of a short story.
WHY: I'm most inspired when there's a challenge involved. Usually that means an opening line or a theme. This month: your words.

My creative blender awaits your Q word suggestions in the comments section. Stop by tomorrow's post to read the story you inspired.

Looking for more great blogs? Check out the massive list of A to Z Challenge participants.

P Story:
Percy heaved a great sigh and slumped into the mud, staring at the sky so he could avoid the disapproving gaze of the bird on the fence. He knew it was there, he could feel it's beady black eyes staring down its beak at him. It had been every morning for the last week. But unlike the previous mornings, it hadn't left after he'd turned his attention to the clouds.
"Leave me alone."
It opened its beak and squawked, then settled into a regular bird voice."Why would I do that piglet?"
"Because I'm destined to wallow here until I grow up and turn to bacon. What kind of bird are you anyway? You're too colorful to be an oriole and that's the brightest bird I know."
"Parrot. Pretty bird." It squawked again. "Sorry, I hate when that slips out. Too many years in the pet shop." It perched there, preening its wings. "You can't turn to bacon, you know. You have to be here to have the farmer do that to you."
Percy lifted his head from the cool mud to ponder this information.
"Polly wants a cracker!" The parrot let out a loud shriek and covered its beak with its wings. "So sorry. It gets worse when I'm trying make my own sentences. My name is Piccasso, but the way."
"Nice to meet you." Percy stood, the mud dripping from his portly belly. "So what you're saying is that I could just not be here when the farmer come for me."
"Exactly that. How about an adventure, you and me, perhaps Paris or Pamplona?"
Percy squealed. "Both, please."

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jean - good story ... I'd love more.

    I had a Percy - he was an ivy ... he did grows and grows!! Don't know where he is now he left London ... I'm sure still rooted in somewhere ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! And I liked how you worked in oriole, too. :)
    Q is for quagmire.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. It gets lonely in here without you.