Thursday, April 18, 2019

Where do ideas come from

Today I'm visiting Diane Burton's blog to celebrate the release of Trust. Diane is my buddy at many local book events in West Michigan and beyond. She also has a new release this month and will be around soon to share that with you.

One of the questions I often get when talking to readers is: "Where to you get ideas for your books?"

Most of my ideas are just random thoughts that fester or moments of inspiration from the news or something that pops up in any given day. But in the case of Trust, the idea came from a short story I wrote in the early 80's. It was a short six page story about two teenagers in space. This was before the internet. Before home computers. Before I could reliably spell 'remember'. Rember. Though the whole freaking story. OMG, the spelling.

But the idea hung with me for years and I played with it, changing it here and there, sometimes drastically. Eventually I changed the point of view character from Anastassia to Vayen. Let me tell you, from one writer to another, get that figured out before you write the novel because it was a hellish rewrite full of headaches. However, I'm really glad I did it because it solved a lot of the issues I was having and I had a great time getting into Vayen's head.

The story that is published now, in no way resembles that short story or most of the earlier versions for that matter, but it was still the seed that launched the adventure in my mind. And no other novel I've written has given me that much grief or been with me this long.

The moral of the story is: don't throw stuff away and don't give up on an idea. You never know when it that little seed might trigger something else. It might not be the right time for it right now, but at some point, it may unfurl into something bigger that you really enjoy.

Get your copy here:
Amazon  /  Amazon UK   /  Barnes & Noble  /  Kobo  / Direct from the publisher
Add it on Goodreads  



4 comments:

  1. I've changed the point of view of a scene sometimes. It can make a huge difference, but yeah it's a pain to work through the changes. I can't imagine doing that for a whole novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have been cried at one point. It was hard to wrap my brain around, yet entirely worth it in the end.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jean - well done ... I can't imagine doing what you did - or do for your books ... but it obviously works - so pleased. Good luck with the publication et al - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, it as only this particular book. I learned my lesson after that. ;)

      Delete

Join the conversation. It gets lonely in here without you.