Thursday, April 12, 2018

A to Z - All Things Writing: Killing off Characters

Welcome to the Blogging A to Z Challenge, where, this month, I'll be focusing on all things writing. This may be a random jumping around of topics within my theme, but hopefully something somewhere will be useful to someone. (V is for vague - see that last sentence.) Check out all the participants here . Now, lets get on with today's letter.

K is for Killing Characters

Some writers never kill anyone. That's fine too. The death of a character should have meaning and add depth to the remaining characters' arcs and impact the plot. If we went around hilly nilly killing everyone for giggles, that wouldn't make for a very engaging story. Maybe it would for some people, there seem to be readers of just about everything. However, let's just say for the sake of this post, that it's not an ideal goal. 

People die in books. Sometimes its off the page, such as to launch a murder mystery or in backstory - your main character's mother died when they were six and that impacted who they are today. Those both have impact on the character and plot. But when is it a good idea to kill off a main or secondary character? Only if it is necessary to advance the plot or drive a remaining character into change/action. As a writer you want to get your readers attached to your characters, to care about them. Killing them off could anger your readers, so it better be for a darn good reason. If you've read any of George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, you know what I'm talking about. 

Writing the death of a cherished character is also hard for the author. They created this character. They brought them into this world, and now they're taking them out of it. As many times as your mother may have thrown out that threat, she didn't act on it. Writers do and it isn't easy. It's draining and makes us sad.  

Have you ever killed off any main characters?

Would you like a free e-book? This April, I'm giving away free copies of my new anthology, Destiny Pills & Space Wizards. Claim your copy here: https://claims.instafreebie.com/free/vhJFWpLL Enter code atozpromo
Prefer paperback? The print book goes live on April 20. Reviews are always appreciated.



11 comments:

  1. I haven't attempted any stories that would requiring killing off a character. I now wonder if I ever will do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't like it when good guys get killed off even for a very good reason, bad guys can die all they want but the good guys should at least get to live. there is two books that read that killed off my favorite characters which wouldn't be so bad if the other characters are likable but they weren't.

    but what I really hate is the resurrection, like they kill off an important character and then later on, we found it didn't happen. but of course, if it's a character I like then, maybe I wouldn't mind so much.

    I have killed off a few characters but it's usually for a good purpose, at least, I think so but now I seem not to do it.

    have a lovely day.

    my latest a-z is: keep calm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole resurrection thing when done the way you describe sounds very frustrating for the reader.

      Delete
  3. Finding your blog for the first time because you left a comment elsewhere. I love this about the #Challenge. As a writer I like your theme and this post for the letter K is fun and a great reminder that readers must care for a character in order to care what happens to them. If killed in a car accident too early in the story, well.....If you have time or interest, I have been writing about BOOKSTORES, their architecture, locations, and about the good people who sell books. I imagine, like me, bookstores are great destinations for you too. Hope to see you at one of the stores here in April. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Stapheny! Glad you stopped by. Your theme sounds like fun. I'll have to drop by and check it out.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jean - not having written any characters that need killing off - I'll keep life as is .. but yes they need to die at some stage - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly you write about different types of character than I do. :) I'm guessing yours live a much happier life.

      Delete
  5. I'm killing some main characters now. I'm working through the second book in my series and those that aren't dead are wishing they were. Ahhhh! gotta love the middle book in a series. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm being sarcastic, the middle book is tough. Why did I think I should write a trilogy? Why? LOL! It might have something to do with my love of trilogies.

      Delete
    2. You crack me up.

      I didn't set out to write a trilogy, but I ended up with a four book series, and I'm not even sure if I'm ready to call that the end. Stupid characters being all fun to write and stuff and keeping up writers all attached to them.

      Delete

Join the conversation. It gets lonely in here without you.