Monday, April 2, 2018

A to Z - All About Writing: Basic Formatting

Welcome to the Blogging A to Z Challenge, where, this month, I'll be focusing on all things writing. This may be a random jumping around of topics within my theme, but hopefully something somewhere will be useful to someone. (V is for vague - see that last sentence.) Check out all the participants here and lets get on with today's letter.

B is for Basic Formatting

While this is something that seems like it should be common knowledge to anyone who has read books or taken high school English, I can easily say from reading the work of many beginning writers, it clearly is not. So today we're going to skim over the basics.

1.    Unless you're writing for posting on the internet, paragraphs should be indented somewhere between .3 and .5 inches depending on what formatting guides you happen to be following.

2. Dialogue (character's speaking) should be in a separate paragraph from general narrative. This makes the story far easier to read.

"If you see what I mean," she said.

3. Dialogue tags can either precede or follow dialogue. Following is most common. Tags denote who is speaking and should generally be kept to a simple he/she said rather than going nuts with using a hundred different words for 'said'. Said does the job and lets the dialogue do it's thing without being distracting. Tags should be formatted as above using a comma unless the dialogue is a question, in which case: "Was that a question?" she asked. It has also been debated that said can be used for questions in place of asked, but I find that distracting in most cases, so I prefer to stick with the common 'asked'.

4. Scene breaks are used to show a progression in time, or a change of pov or setting. A scene break in submission formatting is usually denoted by a blank line and a # and a blank line. In a printed book, it may have a decorative symbol or simply two blank lines.  Scene breaks are breaks within a chapter to show that something has changed from the previous portion and now we're onto something related, but new.

5. When writing dialogue it's fine to use slang, poor grammar and contractions. When writing narrative (the descriptive part of the story where people aren't talking), those should generally be avoided unless we're deep in a character's pov.

6. When submitting writing for publication, double spaced is the way to go unless you have been explicitly been told otherwise. Other things to hunt down specific submission guidelines on include, type of quotes preferred (straight or curly),  indent preferences, italics protocols, and font preference. Always check the guidelines.

7. Learn to use Word (or whatever program you use) properly to insert page numbers and title/author identifying headers. Both of these are easy google searches and take only a few minutes to figure out, if even that.

Got any basic formatting tips to share? Drop them in the comments.

Would you like a free e-book? This April, I'm giving away free copies of my new anthology, Destiny Pills & Space Wizards. Claim your copy here:  https://claims.instafreebie.com/free/vhJFWpLL Enter code atozpromo
Prefer paperback? The print book goes live on April 20. Reviews are always appreciated.

10 comments:

  1. I've been trying to set off most of my dialogue form other material. I tried to include as much dialogue in my memoir as I could, even if it's not exactly what I had said at the time. Just a vague recollection, but basic the the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dialogue offers a nice break from the narrative of the story, giving the reader another layer of depth to explore.

      Delete
  2. these sound right to me. I have been reading a book with a lot of scene breaks and I do wonder sometimes if a chapter break would have been better but they are so short so perhaps scene break is better.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the choice between a scene break an a chapter break can be a tricky one. As long as all the scenes are somehow related within a timeline or event, then encapsulating them all in a single chapter sounds like a logical way to go. I don't mind a short chapter now and then, but a bunch of them one after the other could be wearing on a reader.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jean - I think it'd be essential to make sure one's book is formatted correctly - so yes back to the basics ... but I'd need someone to do it for me ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book formatting for self-publication is a whole other thing, and yes, something you could pay someone to do - though it is entirely possible to learn how to do it yourself. The type of formatting I'm talking about here is what all writers are expected to know and use before submitting to anyone, including beta readers.

      Delete
  4. This is a great theme and will be so helpful for lots of writers. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you find it helpful, Charity. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. What a useful list for someone like me, who may someday write a book. While I was aware that there are straight and curly quotes, it would never have occurred to me to find out which to use prior to submission.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another post with great info. Thanks! I'm in the middle of a final edit on a 3rd novel and these kinds of reminders are helpful. I wish I could find a lovely 'something' to use between scene changes but need help on my Mac to find some if they are there. As a printers daughter, I enjoy that kind of thing in my books. Cheers on this theme!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. It gets lonely in here without you.