Wednesday, May 3, 2017

April IWSG

With A to Z now lurking behind us and the reflections posts waiting to be written, it's time for a short break to think about this month's Insecure Writer's Support Group post.

I'm sitting at that awkward point of waiting for feedback. So I'm anxiously twiddling my thumbs, pretending not to be anxious to see what comments come back from the three critique partners I wrangled into going over The Last God.

I could be using this time to work on other small projects and that is my plan, but I've been plagued by headaches lately and dealing with half of a throbbing head and black spotted vision isn't exactly conducive to writing. Being outside in the fresh air helps, especially if it's a little chilly, which means I'm not at my computer. Over the past month I've managed to build garden beds, haul a bunch of dirt, rocks and mulch and make a nice little garden area. I'm sure it will be overrun by the stubborn dune grass in no time, but I'll share pictures of how nice it looks for now another day.

Today's thoughts are wondering if I should give Kindle Scout a try. It would appear that you retain print rights while they get ebook and audio. Assuming you're chosen, of course. Anyone out there have any experience or insight on this?


10 comments:

  1. I still wonder about self-publishing. It sounds too hard. But traditional publishing sounds like a long process for your first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having done both, I can say they are different kinds of hard. In traditional publishing the waiting on other people to do things is insane. So. Much. Waiting.

      With self publishing, any waiting is self-induced. However, you are now responsible for doing all the things. It's not hard and there is plenty of 'how to' help out there, but it's time consuming.

      Delete
  2. I, too, am waiting on feedback. It's never an easy wait for me. I can never find distraction enough. :)

    I've never heard of Kindle Scout. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get your feedback soon. :) The waiting is the hardest part.

      Delete
  3. Hoping the headache gets better. I get optical migraines but up until the last year, never got the follow-up headache. Fighting my second one in 24 hours...never a cull moment. LOL!

    DB McNicol, author & traveler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you have headache issues too. Hope you feel better quickly.

      Delete
  4. Take care of your health, first and foremost. Regarding Kindle Scout, I'm not sure. I placed Forbidden with Amazon KDP Select which seems to be doing far better than when I published my first novel traditionally. It was a leap of faith and encouragement from my author group that made me find the courage to step into the unknown. Do what feels right for you and when you're ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did KDP Select with my last book and had good luck with it too. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  5. I hope your headaches go away. If not, I hope you've had them checked out. I've heard mixed reviews of Kindle Scout. As a self-pubbed author (actually a hyrid of both self & trad publishing), I'm wary of tying up my book with one outlet. There is a lot of help out there for the self-publisher. Yes, it's hard work. Learning something new keeps your brain active.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Waiting Place is always the worst. Waiting for feedback, waiting for a response on a submission, waiting for notes from an editor. I always try to work on something else, too, during those periods to keep busy.

    I know nothing about Kindle Scout. If you discover anything interest, let us know!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. It gets lonely in here without you.