Sunday, November 27, 2011

Victims of the Knife: The NaNo Interviews 27

Nekar runs down the path at me as I approach the far wall. He pants and waves his hands. “What are you doing over here?”

“Coming to see what you guys are up to.” I peer over him. So what are you hiding behind that wall of reams of paper? For that matter, where did you guys get so many reams of paper?”

“You bought them months ago. A whole case and then some. It was a back to school deal with a rebate.”

“And you guys are have stacked them up into what looks like quite the fortified wall over here. Are those paper clips sticking out between the reams?”

He glances over this shoulder. “They might be.”

I take another step.

“Hey, how’s your word count coming along?”

“I’m ahead. I plan on reaching 50k on Tuesday. Taking it a little easy today.”

“Wait, what? You’re ahead? We kind of thought you’d wait until the last day.”

“Well I don’t plan on it.”

“But you procrastinate all the time! You work best under pressure. Don’t you think so? Some of your most interesting twists come from word wars. It’s all about the pressure. Maybe you should go get yourself a nice cup of hot chocolate and relax in front of the tv for a while. Kick back, relax since you’re ahead. You deserve some down time. Go on.”

“Down time is for January. I’ve got things to write and people to see. Get of out my way.”

I get a step further before I’m pelted with adverb cards from all sides. Disturbingly, annoyingly, irately, stubbornly, vivaciously… that one had to be lobbed by Delilah. I wade through the cards. “Onward!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. It gets lonely in here without you.