Saturday, November 26, 2011

Victims of the Knife: The NaNo Interviews 26

I can’t take Chuck sitting there, staring, waiting, tapping his perfectly rounded and buffed fingernails on the CD stack another minute. Getting up is the only way to find some peace. This means I have to pick my way through the paper-wad paths, making sure to watch out for wayward paperclips, any booby traps set by Nekar or Bulky-short-haired-hot-tempered-violet-ex-partner-who-sold-out-Ms-MC-and-caused-her-serious-emotional-harm-before-she-hunted-him-down-and-killed-him and attempt not to step on anyone.

The thought of a character squishing between my toes makes me reconsider sitting back down and dealing with Chuck. But no, it’s going to be a long while before I find a spot to use Chuck and I need to find out what all these strange noises are.

Chuck runs to the edge of the desk, stopping just before he flies off the edge. “Wait! Where are you going? You promised to write me in!”

“I’ll be back, Chuck. Just going for a walk.”

My walk gets all of three steps before I step on a card. I pick up to return it to an overturned crate. Sharply gives me a paper cut. Stupid adverbs!

“Thanks. I accidently knocked that over.” Delilah yells up to me. She runs around picking up more cards. “Where are you headed?”

“Over there.” I point to the opposite end of the room where all the odd sounds have been coming from.

“Oh.” She glances around. “Umm. Did anyone ask you a question yet today?”

“Not yet.”

“Have you done any research in your NaNo novel preparation?”

“Not exactly. But I did just finish the first book so if you want to call all those months of revising and plot refining research for the sequel, I’ll go with it.”

“Ok. Sure! Can you tell me more?”

“Not much more to tell.”

“There must be. Tell me all about it. Take your time. I’d love to hear every detail.”

I cross my arms and glare down at her. “It almost sounds like you’re trying to buy some time.”

“Oh no, no, not at all.” She flashes me her most charming smile.

“I wrote that smile, dear. It doesn’t work on me. Now move aside before I step on you.”

She dodges out of the way as I set off again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. It gets lonely in here without you.