Wednesday, September 6, 2017

IWSG: September Surprises


It's been a busy month. So busy, that I haven't posted here in a while. What's been going on?

Our exchange student from Denmark arrived mid-way through the month. We've been having a great time showing her around town and getting her ready for school. The school here is MUCH bigger than what she's used to, but she did well on her first day. It's only going to get busier from here now that we have two high school students to play taxi and supportive parent for.

I volunteered to serve as a mentor for a Wesleyan University online course on NaNoWriMo preparation. Which means I've been busy answering questions and reviewing assignments for participants in the class. Oh, and taking the class myself. Because I have a ton of free time... (or I'm just a bit crazy).

As an ML for NaNo, these next two months are planning for regional activities time. The fact that this is year nine as ML makes this not near so daunting. We generally have this down. Except the venue I use for my giant mid-month write-in may not be an option this year because they're moving. Add that to my list of things to do along with waiting to meet the ML's I'll be mentoring in the next couple weeks. Here's hoping they don't need a lot of my time and attention or that I don't need sleep.

So anywho, nothing going on here, just lounging around. So hey, why don't we take a few moments for this month's Insecure Writer's Support Group post. 


Question: Have you ever surprised yourself with your writing? (For example, by trying a new genre you didn't think you'd be comfortable in?)

Yes, definitely. If you've ever done NaNo and read your efforts months or year later, you'll find some portions of the chaos that amaze you. Did I write that? I don't distinctly remember writing that, but holy crap, it's pretty damn good! Even better is when you edit and revise a project and set it aside for a while then go back and read it. I'm often surprised how much I enjoy reading those stories even though I know what happens.  

I've pushed myself to write in third, to write multiple points of view, to do dueling points of view, to write dystopian, fantasy, and more romance scenes than I would have been comfortable with years ago. Beyond my usual novels, I've written short stories and short novels. 

Keep trying new things. They may not work out. I have a whole folder of things that didn't work out. But, I also have multiple folders of projects that did work. You never know what your capable of until you give it a shot. Who knows, you might just surprise yourself.

25 comments:

  1. I'm doing a lot of Nano prep this month: good on you that you're helping other writers grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonus points to you for already planning your novel!

      Delete
  2. Yup- nano is definitely something different! I never prep for it, and the past two years I've "cheated" aka I was mid-book, so I needed to work on it for my 50,000 words. I'm so messed up with this book I'm on now, that it looks like that will be the plan again. SIGH. Was hoping to start the next book by Nov 1. Anywho- nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done the finish a book, and a start the book, as well as completely rewrite a book. If you've done the whole NaNo 50K new words on a new novel a few times I on board with doing what needs to be done to get you writing in November.

      Delete
  3. I've never done Na No, but now I seem tempted. I need to find about more about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://nanowrimo.org Check it out. :) It's a great way to connect with other writers who might be in your area. Look for a region that is nearest to you and attend some events.

      Delete
  4. I bet most of the experiments paid off. For me NaNo was more of a time of getting the words down than anything else. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far three of them have been published. Two more are under contract. So yes, I'd have to agree it's worth the time. There are more novels to finish/edit/rewrite yet too. November is my hunker down and write month. The rest of the year is for making the words pretty.

      Delete
  5. I love trying new genres and styles, too, I just never seem to have the time to do it, so I often fall back on my old, familiar ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what NaNo is good for. I've done a lot of experimenting with my November projects. I give them one month - or sometimes one week and then switch to something else if it's just not working. That way I don't feel like I'm spinning my creative wheels on something that's not going to get me anywhere. When we don't have much writing time, we have to make every minute count.

      Delete
  6. I love that you brought an exchange student into your home. That's awesome. I haven't done NaNo. I don't think I have that much self-discipline...but you...you rock!

    Enjoy the rest of your week!
    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bank account doesn't allow for a lot of travel so bringing another country to us is a great way to experience and learn about another culture.

      Delete
  7. So true that you never know what your capabilities are until you push the boundaries...and that's how we grow!
    Happy IWSG Day!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I keep writing next year, I will be pushing my boundaries by writing in first person in a semi-humorous mystery female PI series. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun. I enjoy writing first person, but so far have limited that to one series. Most of what I write is in third. For me, it makes more sense to use it in a series because you're spending more time with that character and really get to know them.

      Delete
  9. I'll be doing nano again this year. Loved it last year. Such a great community. Thanks for being an ML. I'm co-hosting this month, and I wanted to pop in and say, "hi!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your NaNo novel! Thanks for co-hosting! :)

      Delete
  10. Chaos is my friendly tormenter! Thanks for the post and helping others write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chaos does seem to be part of the creative process. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. My biggest surprise with my writing is the fact that I'm writing at all - given that the first 80% of my life to date I had no interest in it whatsoever :)

    I think it's awesome that you go back and enjoy reading what you wrote a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think of it as spending 80% of your life working up to starting to write. You were just tucking away all those life experiences to use later. :)

      Delete
  12. Good luck with your NaNo prep. Having an exchange student sounds like fun. It's great when you read something old and it's much better than you remember. Almost like someone else wrote it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jean - well done on hosting the Danish student - eye opening for both of you. Also that NaNo help at the university - looking at NaNo from both sides - great ... bet there'll be inspiration flow from that interaction - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been doing more painting than writing this summer...though oftentimes the painting inspires me to write.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. It gets lonely in here without you.