Thursday, April 26, 2018

A to Z - All Things Writing: Writers

Welcome to the Blogging A to Z Challenge, where, this month, I'll be focusing on all things writing. This may be a random jumping around of topics within my theme, but hopefully something somewhere will be useful to someone. (V is for vague - see that last sentence.) Check out all the participants here . Now, lets get on with today's letter.

W is for Writers

Are you a writer or an author?

Some people prefer one over the other. Some people think of themselves as writers until they have been published and then they are authors. I've read conflicting reasoning on both.

A writer is someone who writes.

An author has been published.

A writer has written something

An author has finished something

A writer is someone who writes as an occupation

An author is someone who has created something

An author is a writer

As far a I'm concerned, they are interchangeable. What about you?



Would you like a free e-book? This April, I'm giving away free copies of my new anthology, Destiny Pills & Space Wizards. Claim your copy here: https://claims.instafreebie.com/free/vhJFWpLL Enter code atozpromo
Prefer paperback? The print book goes live on April 20. Reviews are always appreciated.





7 comments:

  1. I have never been able to tell the difference between the two, yet, I often refer to myself as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use whatever you're comfortable with, I say. :)

      Delete
  2. I think they are interchangeable. I do find myself thinking that authors are published and that writers are more non-fiction but that is just my perception which means squat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, we all have our opinions. It's what keeps life interesting.

      Delete
  3. I do agreed with you, they are interchangeable. on book covers, they often used 'the author of...' or 'the best selling author of' which I think it's suppose to sound impressive but I'm not impressed. I prefer 'writer' because author just doesn't sound all that great to me.

    have a lovely day.

    my latest a-z is: the waking

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me the words have slightly different feels to them but I find it hard to pinpoint. Certainly I go with a writer is someone who writes. That's easy. Author? Has more of a feeling of someone who has finished something (plenty of writers never actually get around to completing anything). Possibly it's that an author has something to share with the world. I don't know. In all important respects I think they can be used interchangeably.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. It gets lonely in here without you.