Saturday, June 15, 2013

This is the end

After my last post, I got curious about how I really do end my short stories. Killing people comes to mind, but is that true? How do I actually end my stories? Let me count the ways:

May story 1: sad
May story 2: happy
May story 3: killed MC
May story 4: happy
May story 5: killed MC
May story 6: killed MC
May story 7: killed MC

Hmmm, *wipes fictional blood from hands* let's try my published short stories. (in no particular order)

Story 1: killed MC
Story 2: killed MC
Story 3: killed MC
Story 4: happy

Darn. Umm. Let's not go into the attic okay? And those fresh dirt piles in the yard? Gardening. I swear. So, how does this compare to novels? (in no particular order)

Novel 1: happy
Novel 2: happy
Novel 3: killed MC
Novel 4: happy
Novel 5: happy
Novel 6: happy

Whew. That's not so bad.

And, my dear characters, what did we learn here?
1. You want to be in a novel rather than a short.
2. If I don't kill you, the odds of living happily ever after are pretty damn good.

5 comments:

  1. LOL! Don't think I've killed an MC yet, but there's usually a whole heap of collateral damage along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you do seem to be err um hell bent on killing MC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that all death is a bad thing. Sometimes, that still means a happy ending. If that makes sense. :)

      Delete
  3. Killing the MC seems perfectly reasonable. Just make sure he gets some nookie before the end, kinda like Terminator.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. It gets lonely in here without you.